Deutsch: Salat (Gericht)
Salad is a popular, ready-to-eat dish made of diverse ingredients, usually served chilled or at a moderate temperature. Many people use the word "salad" to describe light, savory leafy vegetable dishes, most often served with a sauce or dressing, but the category may additionally include dishes made of ingredients such as fruits, grains, meats, seafood and sweets.
In the food context, a salad is typically a mixture of raw or cooked vegetables, fruits, grains, and other ingredients that are tossed together and served cold or at room temperature. Here are some examples of different types of salads:
- Caesar salad - made with romaine lettuce, croutons, Parmesan cheese, and a dressing of anchovies, garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil.
- Greek salad - made with cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, feta cheese, olives, and a dressing of olive oil and lemon juice.
- Cobb salad - made with lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, bacon, hard-boiled eggs, chicken, and a dressing of blue cheese.
- Caprese salad - made with sliced tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese, and basil leaves, drizzled with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
- Waldorf salad - made with apples, celery, walnuts, and grapes, mixed with mayonnaise and served on a bed of lettuce.
- Potato salad - made with boiled potatoes, chopped onions, celery, and mayonnaise, often seasoned with mustard, dill, or other herbs and spices.
- Coleslaw - made with shredded cabbage, carrots, and sometimes other vegetables, mixed with mayonnaise, vinegar, and sugar.
- Nicoise salad - made with boiled potatoes, green beans, hard-boiled eggs, olives, tuna, and a dressing of olive oil and lemon juice.
- Tabbouleh salad - made with bulgur wheat, parsley, mint, tomatoes, and lemon juice, commonly served in Middle Eastern cuisine.
- Fruit salad - made with a variety of sliced fresh fruits, such as strawberries, pineapple, kiwi, and grapes.
Salads are often served as a side dish or appetizer, but can also be a main course when they are made with a variety of hearty ingredients, such as proteins like grilled chicken, tofu, or shrimp, or grains like quinoa or farro. They are typically considered a healthy food option due to their high content of vitamins, minerals, and fiber.