A sausage is a type of meat product usually made from ground meat—often pork, beef, or poultry—along with salt, spices and other flavourings. Other ingredients, such as grains or breadcrumbs may be included as fillers or extenders.
In the food context, 'sausage' refers to a type of meat product that is typically made from ground meat, spices, and other ingredients, stuffed into a casing and then cooked or smoked. Sausages can be made from a wide variety of meats, including beef, pork, chicken, turkey, and even game meats like venison or wild boar. Here are some examples of different types of sausages from around the world:
- Italian sausage - a pork sausage that is seasoned with fennel seed and garlic, commonly used in dishes like pizza, pasta, and sandwiches.
- Bratwurst - a German pork sausage that is seasoned with spices like nutmeg and marjoram, commonly grilled and served with sauerkraut or on a bun with mustard.
- Chorizo - a Spanish pork sausage that is seasoned with smoked paprika and garlic, commonly used in dishes like paella, scrambled eggs, and tacos.
- Andouille - a Cajun sausage made from pork, seasoned with spices like cayenne pepper and thyme, commonly used in dishes like gumbo and jambalaya.
- Kielbasa - a Polish sausage made from pork or beef, seasoned with garlic and other spices, commonly grilled or smoked and served with sauerkraut or in a sandwich.
- Merguez - a North African lamb or beef sausage that is seasoned with spices like cumin and coriander, commonly used in dishes like couscous and tagine.
- Boudin - a Louisiana sausage made from pork, rice, and spices, commonly served as a side dish with Cajun-style seafood or in a sandwich.
- Linguiça - a Portuguese sausage made from pork or chicken, seasoned with paprika and garlic, commonly grilled or used in dishes like feijoada and cozido.
- Breakfast sausage - a type of sausage that is commonly served with breakfast, made from pork or a combination of pork and beef, seasoned with spices like sage and black pepper.
- Vegan sausage - a plant-based sausage that is made from ingredients like tofu, seitan, or vegetables, seasoned with spices and other flavorings to mimic the taste and texture of traditional sausage.
Sausages can be used in a variety of dishes, from breakfast to dinner, and can be grilled, fried, boiled, or smoked depending on the type of sausage and the desired preparation. They are a popular ingredient in many cuisines around the world, and can add a flavorful and hearty element to a meal.