Pastry is baked food made with a dough of flour, water and shortening (solid fats, including butter or lard) that may be savoury or sweetened. Sweetened pastries are often described as bakers' confectionery. The word "pastries" suggests many kinds of baked products made from ingredients such as flour, sugar, milk, butter, shortening, baking powder, and eggs. Small tarts and other sweet baked products are called pastries as a synecdoche. Common pastry dishes include pies, tarts, quiches, croissants, and pasties.
In the food context, 'pastry' refers to a type of dough used in baking to create various types of sweet and savory baked goods. Pastry dough is typically made from flour, butter, and water, and may be flavored with sugar, salt, or other ingredients. Here are some examples of different types of pastries:
- Pie - a baked dish consisting of a pastry crust filled with sweet or savory ingredients, such as fruit, custard, or meat.
- Croissant - a crescent-shaped pastry made of laminated dough, commonly associated with French cuisine.
- Tart - a baked dish consisting of a pastry crust filled with sweet or savory ingredients, similar to a pie but typically smaller and more shallow.
- Danish - a sweet pastry made of laminated dough, often filled with fruit or custard and topped with icing or streusel.
- Eclair - a pastry made of choux pastry dough filled with cream and typically topped with chocolate icing.
- Cannoli - a pastry originating in Italy made of fried pastry dough filled with sweet ricotta cheese.
- Strudel - a pastry originating in Austria made of thin layers of pastry dough filled with sweet or savory ingredients.
- Puff Pastry - a flaky pastry made of layers of butter and dough, used to make savory dishes like cheese twists or sweet dishes like palmiers.
- Scone - a sweet or savory pastry resembling a small biscuit, typically served with jam and cream in British cuisine.
- Mille-Feuille - a French pastry made of layers of puff pastry filled with pastry cream or fruit.
Pastry is a versatile and widely used ingredient in baking, and can be used to create a wide variety of sweet and savory dishes. Pastries are commonly enjoyed as a breakfast or brunch item, dessert, or as a snack. They can be made at home or purchased from bakeries or cafes.