Rava upma refers to an Indian savory spicy semolina preparation. Semolina is also called rava in India
Upma is a simple savory preparation from semolina (cream of wheat). Made with pure organic home made ghee, this flavorful dish is often combined with vegetables to make it more nutritious, an example is Tomato rava upma. It is best enjoyed hot with a squeeze of fresh lime on top. Popular in the southern part of the country, it makes for a divine breakfast accompanied by a hot cup of south Indian filter coffee.
Try it as a hot breakfast or snack. This is one of those simple home made comfort foods that are so flavorful and just impossible to get in a restaurant.
Recipe for Tomato rava upma
Cooking time (approx.): 11 minutes
4 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter) / butter
1 cup(s) semolina (or quick cream of wheat)
1 teaspoon(s) each of mustard and cumin seeds
1 sprig(s) curry leaves
1 teaspoon(s) ginger chopped
2 green chilli(es) slit / chopped
2 onion(s) sliced finely
1 large tomato(es) chopped
4 tablespoons coriander leaves
2 tablespoon(s) grated coconut if available
2 cup(s) hot water
salt to taste
fried cashewnuts to garnish
1. Heat half of the ghee (clarified butter) in a pan. Fry semolina, stirring continuously, to a golden color on medium / low level for about 2 minute(s). Keep aside.
2. Heat the remaining ghee (clarified butter) in a pan. Toss in the mustard seeds followed by the cumin seeds and fry till the seeds splutter fully. Add the curry leaves, ginger, green chillies and onions. Stir fry on medium level for about 3 minutes or till the onions are transparent and soft.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes and fry on medium level for about 3 minutes or till they are soft and cooked. Add half of the coriander leaves (reserving the rest for garnishing) and fry briefly till they wilt.
4. Mix in the semolina and salt. Add the hot water to this and mix well. Add more hot water if the mixture is dry. Cover and cook on low heat for about 3 minutes or till the mixture is almost dry.
Garnish with fried cashewnuts, grated coconut and finely chopped coriander leaves
* Ghee is very important to impart flavor to this dish. A combination of oil and ghee/butter can also be used.
* Green chillies can be increased if desired.
* It is better to heat more water than specified above in case it is required.
Serve hot with: Coconut Chutney (Nariyal Chutney)
List of books: Rava,upma